Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Learning the Bagpipes in Connecticut

Let me start off by saying how I started instead of saying what I do every day. I wanted to learn a new instrument. Now I live in Connecticut as before I was in California. I use to play the Trombone and the Piano. I picked up several other instruments like Bass Drum, Trumpet, and Tuba. I appreciated playing in big jazz bands. I love just to sit and jam and play with friends some times as well. I am keen on Playing in orchestras.

When I first started playing an instrument I was about ten years old. My Mom used to force me on to the piano every damn day and I hated every minute of it. I should thank her for doing this because now I like to learn how to play new instruments. I was a kid in high school when I did my first competition. I played Moonlight Sonata for a high school talent comp. I must've practiced so many hours on the piano when I was in high school. I listened to the recording over and over, played for hours and hours. I played for eight hours every day. I went into the comp and played and blew everyone away. My grandmother and grandfather was there, and so was the rest of my family. Now I’m known in high school for playing that peace. . Now granted I was nervous as hell and it ended up being the fasted Moonlight Sonata ever played, but I still blew everyone a way and nobody knew the difference anyway. Well I'm sure my music teacher did, but that's beside the point.

I find it irresistible to play and learn new instruments. I thought that bagpipes would be a nice change of pace. I met Mark Basset who owns Pipelander about seven months ago, and he's been my instructor ever since. I practice about two hours a day and go over the band sets, one song at a time and just practice and practice.

I live in Connecticut like I said earlier, and there are a few bands out here in New England as one would imagine. I am joining the MRPF band here in CT and hope to one day be marching with them all over the state. I just ordered my kilt through Mark and it should be here soon.

Well that's pretty much my background as far as music goes. I can’t get over playing the chanter and hope that one day I'll move on to the Bagpipes. That might be at the end of the year, but in the mean time I’ll just play the chanter and get my Bagpipes at a later time. I am enjoying learning. However it does get frustrating at times and I want to break my chanter, but I hold back. I don't want to buy another one anyway. $200 is a lot of money on that electric chanter. So stay tuned for more info. I should have my Kilt by the end of the week and I'll post a picture of myself in full uniform in a couple of weeks. I'll keep posting every day though. I'll see you soon and thanks for reading.